Saturday, October 24, 2009

Reverse culture shock

So I'm back in the States safe and sound and I have to be honest, it's a little bit weird! It seems like I spent way longer than 7 months away. Here is a list of a few things that are strange to me:

-American money. I've realized through traveling that money in pretty much every country than America is a lot easier to figure out. Different values are different colors and sizes, instead of everything looking exactly the same except for the number, like US bills. For example, NZ$20 is larger in size than NZ$5. Makes sense, right??

-Driving on the right-side of the road. There have been a couple times I've been in Abby's car and momentarily freaked out because I thought we were turning into the wrong lane. Ha.

-American accents. I got pretty adept while in NZ at picking out a North American accent from a mile away, because they're so rare. Now I'm surrounded by them! And people are making fun of me because they think now I sound British or something. British?!

-Chain stores. I took the BART from the SFO airport to my friend's house in Oakland, and when we came out from underground, I saw a McDonald's, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Round Table Pizza, Fuddrucker's, TGI Fridays, all in succession. There are a few local NZ and Australian chains, and they have McDonalds and maybe KFC, but that's about it, so it's weird to be so surrounded by fast food chains.

welcome to america!

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing by now you got your American accent back? Heh ;)

    ReplyDelete