Friday, September 25, 2009

Off the island, back to the real world

I left Stewart Island a few days ago, which was nice. I had fun at first but at the end of a couple weeks I was ready to leave. I ended up working more like 6-12 hours a day, instead of 3-5, and I just got really exhausted by the end. I was bummed I didn't have more spare time to hang around the island, but I still enjoyed myself, met some cool people, and made quite a bit of money.

After Stewart Island, I caught a bus back to Queenstown for a couple days, and then yesterday headed to Christchurch for one night, and now I'm in Kaikoura, which is gorgeous. It's pretty much the best place in NZ for marine life; there's whale watching, dolphin watching and swimming, and seal swimming. We visited a seal colony earlier this morning, which was cool. But I've seen tons of seals since I've been in this country, so not as exciting as it used to be I suppose. :) I would LOVE to go swimming with them but I don't have an extra $130 to spend on that at the moment (I don't get paid from my job until Thursday). Tomorrow I head back up to Picton, which is where I left my car, and then drive BACK down to Christchurch and couch surf on a farm outside of the city. I'm going to sell my car in ChCh, as they call it, hopefully quickly. Then headed to Oz! For a few weeks of laying on the beach, thank god. I need sun, very badly.

I'm starting to feel quite anxious and antsy and ready to get back to the states. The last few days haven't been much fun, most of the cool friends I met aren't around any more, and the new people I've been traveling with are really lame. It's weird though, because I know as soon as I leave I'll want to come back. I just need a break, I suppose. I'll be home before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment